Outreach / Community Service
It has been said that the church exists for the benefit of those outside of itself. Social outreach, then, is not merely doing good deeds, but is an essential part of the church’s mission.
The Community Service and Outreach Committee, along with the Women of St. John the Divine, organizes and encourages parishoner to serve in volunteeer ministries. In addition to raising money for worthy causes, we work to educate and involve people. St. John the Divine has developed a program emphasizing a “hands-on” approach and featuring a different focus for each month.
Causes currently supported include
- Episcopal Relief and Development
- Dominican Development Group (previously in the Dominican Republic.)
- The Lord’s Lighthouse Mission (with whom St. John the Divine partners, serving the Hispanic Community and operating out of the West Campus.
- The Good Samaritan Mission
- The Mary and Martha House
- The Community Cupboard Food Pantry
- Kairos Prison Ministry
- Metropolitan Ministries
- Meals on Wheels
- Area Elementary Schools.
The Women of St. John The Divine fill Christmas Stockings and Easter Baskets for the children of The Lord’s Lighthouse and The Good Samaritan Mission. For the past three years, St. John The Divine has funded and sent several parishioners on mission trips to the Dominican Republic.
We are committed to supportng our Bishop, the Diocese of Southwest Florida, and the National Church by giving a percentage of our Parish income.
The Community Service and Outreach Committee meets monthly, September through May.